Tuesday 27 November 2012

The fastest I have ever run

Out with the club tonight.  I consider stepping up a group but they are running 8 minutes miles.  In reality it will be more brutal than that and it's not a group that worries about people dropping off the back.

I decide to go with James, a guaranteed joyful hour of running, though I know in my heart of hearts slower than I should be running.

We run through Chislehurst and up Old Hill.  Most people race away up the steep hill. I hold my pace and catch more than half of them up.  We catch our breath at the top before heading back down towards Petts Wood.

On the run down St Pauls Cray road I end up leading the bunch.  I slip into a beautiful balanced running state where I am simply running well.  Then my shoe lace comes undone.  I stop and everyone zooms past.  I get up and fight my way back to the front.

Someone has run off the front and I set off after them as we are near the finish.  Someone else tries to come with me but I drop them.  The other person peels off back towards their house.  I think it's the next turning back to the rec.  I slow down to check and I can see the sign.

Then I open up.  I start sprinting.  And then really sprinting.  My feet are hardly touching the ground but they are turning over at a huge cadence.  But my stride length is massive.  Then I get faster and faster still.  I am convinced that this, in this moment, it is the fastest I have ever run.  Strange.

8.4km 55.30

No comments:

Post a Comment