Wednesday 7 July 2010

Corporate Challenge

For 12 years I have been running the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge. Every year I alway came away disappointed in my performance. In fact the first year was my worst ever athletic performance. I had just spent 6 months in the US and was near 16 stone. I struggled to get round and had to walk for large periods. Next day I ached like never before and did for a number of more days.

This year was to be different. Based on my 5k PB of 22:59 I set a target of sub 26 minutes. The Corporate Challenge always suffers with crowds. This year they had chip timing and started people in waves. I got right down the front of my wave. At no point did I have to walk with only a couple of points to slow down.

In all the race goes well. 3.5km in and I get a stitch. Just before I started I had taken an energy gel. Possibly related.

In the end I drag myself round in 26"19. A satisfactory result. Last year I did 29"30. I am already thinking of next year, and I need to lose weight to squeeze the time.

My quickish time (100th out of 570 runners from my company) meant I got back to get the barbecue before the crowds.

Lots of beer afterwards but I did run the couple of miles to Victoria.

5.6km 26"19

No comments:

Post a Comment