Thursday 1 July 2010

Three bridges relay

I was in the works 'C' team. I was quite proud of not being in the 'D' team. A 4 way relay of 2.3 miles starting at Westminster bridge, over Vauxhall back over Lambeth and home. Starting on the first bong of Big Ben at 7, the target is to beat the hour. Unlikely with me in the team.

At the last minute one of our team drops out. Via email Shane (unknown to the rest of the runners) offers to run two legs, the first and last.

Finally when I meet Shane at the start, he looks a bit good. Too good to be running with a duffer like me. We chat for a bit, and I ask him his 10k time. 36 mins. Very, very good.

This should be interesting.

Shane runs the first leg, and we estimate that he comes back 7th. We slap hands and I speed off. Some of the faster teams second runners zip past me, but after the initial burst I hold my place well.

Half way round I start to feel the pain. But I can't let the team down. I start my sprint early, misjudging the finish, but the crowd cheers and I open up more.

I touch hands with Aisha, and shout some encouragement. I started the Garmin late so I do not know the time. The pace says 4"29 per km which would put me in line for a 22"30 5k. My 5k PB is 22"59.

Aisha comes back and Shane zooms off, all long limbed elegance. I wait for him to return. I chat with Charlie who is really hoping his team can break the Hour.

Eventually Shane flys back over the line. A number of minutes later Big Ben bongs. We did it!

I think Shane may be set for the A team next year.

A really great night and while I might not have been the edge I was proud of my run.

2.3 miles, 17ish minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment