Sunday 4 July 2010

Orpington 10k


A beautiful day and even the wife and kids came to cheer me on. It's a hilly offroad course so no PB on the cards. I just wanted to ensure I was in form ahead of Tuesday's crucial corporate challenge. (I say crucial, as I have to turn in a good time to avoid ridicule in the office)

Back today, and the start was a little "cluttered" For the first few KMs I struggled to elbow my way past some runners. All through out I notice the well placed marshalls. As I run through a beautiful wheat field with poppies on the edge, my breath is taken away.

All the near-bearfoot running has sorted my form out a treat. I feel a lot more nimble and graceful. A couple of times a put 3 or 4 metre between me and a fellow runner simply by negotiating the terrain more elegantly.

For a couple of KM I am followed by an elephant, thudding in to the ground. It upsets my sensibilites. I ponder saying to them if they ever pass
"Hey, google Barefoot when you get back home!"
They never take me, and I probably never would have said anything.

An older guy, possibly around 50-55, keeps taking me on the flats. As we come to a hill, I take him. The enjoyable battle goes on for 4 or 5 km, and eventually I kill him off on a hill.

A couple of times we cross busy, busy roads and the traffic is halted by the Police and Marshalls. A lot of he drivers beep their horns in fustration.

As I re-enter the sports ground for the finishing lap round the grounds, I try and spot the family. But I am focussed and start winding up to the sprint. After I have gone by them, I suddently spot and turn round and wave.

In front of me is a guy, possibly 55-60. I think I can catch hime and open up. He edges away. As I cross the line, he congratulates me. I say to him,
"I almost had you. I think he feels flattered, that I really wanted to beat him. That's the good thing about running. You race the competitor, irrespective of age or sex. You give it your best.

A good run, and I was happy with my form (in all senses)

10k 50"40 Hot 'n' Hilly

No comments:

Post a Comment