Saturday 26 February 2011

Park Run flashback

I'm still on easy-street recovering from an ULTRA-Marathon (sorry, had to drop that in)
But I love Park Run. The running is good, but also the atmosphere is good. Lots of people from my running club but also lots of friendly other people. The fantastic organisation sets the tone of the event.

I decide to go and cruise. And that's what's good about Park Run, you can just go and enjoy.

I set off. Initially I feel a little stale but then get going. I am no where near my usual pace. Any time I feel attempt to pick up the pace, I resist. After the first lap, I realise that halfway has passed. On a 5k, halfway happens pretty quickly.

The mud is giving me nasty flashbacks to the ultra. I hate running in mud. It saps the energy, makes a mess and there is always the danger of falling flat on your bum.

I am following Robert from our running club. The truth is I don't think I will catch him. As we pass Race-HQ, his dog spots him and runs up. He tries to ignore the dog, scold it, threaten it. In the end he gives up and has to stop. Another place secured.

I had lanced the pus-fulled blister last night. The toe feels fine but once again I still feel a little jaded. I really hope I can turn this round.

400m to go, someone sails past. I can't be bothered to race. I glance behind and check no one else is stalking. All clear. I then even put in a token sprint with 100m to go.

The rest of the day I feel better for the run. It's knowing when to stop "recovering" and start training again that's taxing me now.

5km 25:03

No comments:

Post a Comment