Saturday 12 February 2011

Slippy Park Run


I'm still tapering for the 32 mile moonlight challenge. I have to work from home Saturday morning and sink quite a few coffees. I finish sooner than expected and realise I can make park-run.

My last outing I had finished one second outside Davids time. I decide to go for it.

I start off fast. I run neck and neck with Sabina from the club for a while. Then the problem start to become apparent. I have my road shoes on but it is slip, slippery-muddy. I flail my arms as I struggle to keep my balance.
"Get some trail shoes" yells Sabina. And she's right.

Thursday night's "team bonding" exercise also starts to take it's toll. The strong wind down the back straight saps my motivation further. Then all the coffee starts to slosh. My stomach aches and by the second lap I ease off.

I manage a token sprint towards the end. Slipping in the mud really saps the energy. the time though is still reasonable (just sub 23 minutes) I vow to come back another day when it is warmer, less slippy, no wind and without gallons of coffee in me.

Still, after the run I stop and take the time for a chat and a coffee!

5km 22:58

No comments:

Post a Comment