Saturday 8 October 2011

Last Long Run Before Beachy Head Marathon

Despite having a 3month old baby, thought it may be a laugh to train for a marathon.  I've been doing plenty of running just none of it long.  This weekend I must do a long run and then taper as the Beachy Head Marathon is in 3 weeks.

After running my 5km PB today and various sicknesses I am not feeling great.  I plan to get up early next day, do a 3hour run and then go and marshal at the Petts Wood 10km.  Not great but I resign myself to it.  Then I get a phone call.  They want me to be the sweeper (or last runner marshall) the next day.  Even though the last runner will be a snail, best not do it on top of a long run.

So I have to go out Saturday night and do it despite having run a fast, fast 5km this morning.  I am just justifying the flake-out to myself when my wife says:
"It's a amazing the way you can go out running like this tonight"
So now, I have to do it, and so I do.

I run 1.5 hours out down the A21.  After 45 minutes I am struggling.   But I keep going.   I get to the petrol station by Green St. Greet at around 1"27.  I buy a sports drink and some wine gums and turn back.  The last 45minutes is hard (though mainly downhill)  I allow myself a wine gum every 5 minutes.

The thighs are a little sore and my feet hurt but on I go.

I get home about 11:15pm.  I wake the wife up on the sofa, send her to bed and have a shower.  I collapse into bed exhausted.   That's the best thing about running late; being able to go to bed afterwards.

Today was about time on feet rather than distance.  It's a hilly route out down the A21.  I wanted to do this last long run before the Beachy Head Marathon and today I achieved that.

27km 2:53":00

No comments:

Post a Comment