Saturday 29 October 2011

Rising Sun

Saturday night, and Jerry has organised one of his super night runs.  We always end up in fantastic Kent pubs.  But as I usually drive there, I have to decline the beer.  Tonight we are starting in Shoreham and so I can get the train there with the plan of a couple of "Kentish Ales"
I arrive in Shoreham and the station is a little way out of town.  It is pitch black a apparent the residents decided against street lights some time a go.  I use the IPhone to navigate my way into town.
We meet up and are soon off.  A number of fellow nutters have done the Beachy Head Marathon.  It's a good friendly bunch, refreshingly free of whingers.  I haven't run since Beachy Head but this is a great run to get back into it.  The pace is easy, plenty of stops and you don't have to worry about dropping off the back as people will wait.  It tales a while to loosen the legs but then I am fine.  
There are various comedy moments involving the threat of bulls in fields.  Jerry announces half a mile  to the half-way house.  I zoom to the front in anticipation.  Jerry had warned us, that it may be a little rough and ready.
The pub looks like a quaint cottage from outside.  Inside it is pure genius.  The only way I can describe it, is something like Withnail and I.  Most of the drink options looked off.  On every surface was some kind of memorabilia, with most of it appearing to come from the second world war.  Feral-like cats,  a bizarre parrot.   The landlady after serving us, returns to her side of the bar and an old portable television propped up on a chair.  Despite needing the toilet, I decide to pass on the toilets with its "LOOS" sign.  There are no other people in there, and it doesn't look like they are expecting many other patrons.  The odour is unique and vigorous.
I quip:
"Is this a Wetherspoons?"
After the beer, I am revived and we are off again.  We are utterly alive from the experience we have just had and the conversation, quips and reflections keep on for the rest of the night.
The return 5 miles is soon dispatched and we head to a pub a little nearer civilization to reflect on the night.
Even if you were a billionaire, there would not be a better night, out running in the beautiful countryside with a great bunch of people and experiencing the, frankly, utterly bizarre.
An amazing night, enjoyable running and experiencing something, that in reality can't possible exist.
16km (time not really relevant)




No comments:

Post a Comment