Monday 7 June 2010

Beckenham Road 10km

I knew this would be hard having run half the course as part of the
assembly league last year. I remembered the hill up to Ravensbourne.

I set off and it is already hot and humid. I set off fast and after
2km realise I will not be holding this pace. I dig in over Beckenham
Hill, already knowing this is going to be one of the days where you
just are looking to finish.

On the second lap a female runner is holding my pace and we start the
climb up to Ravensbourne. I feel like I am at walking pace but she is
steadily and soundly dropped.

This is the end of the hills with around 3.5 km to go. I ease in to a
steady pace and eventually start to relax and enjoy.

On the last 3km I start joking with the marshalls:
"You okay to wait while I bang out another couple of laps?"
Just past the McDonalds at Downham:
"I'd be okay if I hadn't stopped for a Mc Donalds"
The Marshall laughs and responds
"it was probably those 2 Big Macs that did it"

As I turn into the finishing straight some one is just in front of me.
I decide to race them to the finish. I easily sprint past them with a
typically strong sprint finish.

The time was not great and the course seems to be 150 meters short.
Still hugely enjoyable and a good workout.

10km (9.85km really) 52"40

No comments:

Post a Comment