Monday 7 June 2010

Project 79

On my lunchtime recovery run down to the Wapping canals I muse on how I could get faster. I weigh 86kg. According to BMI it should be 79 maximum. The lowest I have been as an adult is 81kg.

The wisdom appears to be 2 seconds a mile faster for each pound you lose. 7 kg is 15 pounds. So that would be 30 seconds a mile quicker. I know these things are not linear but that would knock 3 minutes off my 10 km time.

The question is could I lose the weight? My main weakness is that I like a beer. One you have had a beer then all you eating goes awry.

It has to be worth a go. And if not now then it will probably not happen. I have dubbed this project 79. I expect some foul moods from when I am hungry. I will need to stop finishing the kids leftovers. The cheese will need to be cut. The nightly twirls are probably a no-no as well. At least I am getting enough exercise.

The advantages are that it will be kinder to my knees. The hard part will be ensuring I get enough but not too many calories. I do believe in a set point theory. When your body sets on a weight it tends to hold it. I have been holding 86kg for sometime. Will I be able to shake the inertia?

I think some weight training would also help.

So here is to project 79.

I had been running down to the Wapping canals as I was in a bad mood. It is where I run with my bad moods. I run out of time before reaching Tobacco dock, the usual turning point. But maybe I have reached another turning point and I return with fresh vision.

40 minutes, half marathon pace (It was a tough race yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment