Sunday 27 June 2010

Run home from work

I try and do it once a week but this has fallen into some disrepair lately with the amount of business I am under. As I approach my marathon attempt next April then it is something I will need to revive.

I set off in the new Asics Gel Race Shoes. Straight away my back starts hurting. I have had a sore back strangely since I gave up caffeine. I am sure the same thing happened last time. Strange. It's probably lugging the kids round in reality.

The otherside of London Bridge, I consider quiting and getting the train. This is the way I have always dealt with injury. Stop, clam, up and hold back. Recently I have been toughing it out and each time the injury has backed down.

In Bermondsey I take a short cut through a dodgy estate. At the barriers to stop cyclists (an effective narrowing) there is a local gang looking for trouble. They spot me, I quickly dodge left, hurdle war and fly off and top speed before any fun can begin.

The sore back is slowing me down. I can't effectively flick of the pavement. I keep going though. 9 minutes running, 1 minute walk break.

On the Old Kent Road there is a Brazilian Bar with a load of fans standing outside enjoying the sun after the Brazil Match. I dodge through them, and they seem friendly and good natured.

I tough it out up Beckenham Hill, dodging through the golf course, remembering the Beckenham 10k. Finally I reach my road and it is a gentle roll down hill to my house.

It is the first time I have run home to the new house. The time should be appalling as I have not been doing the long runs recently. My back was in pain the whole way and I had been doing the relatively easy 1 minute walk breaks. It was also one of the hottest days of the year. In the end the time was about usual.

I'd said to Sam at work that I was looking forward to this. Having carved out two hours to just relax, run and enjoy. And despite the back pain it was good.

Back to longer runs, it's good to be home.

18km 2"10

No comments:

Post a Comment