Thursday 10 June 2010

Water fountain to Water fountain

There is a run I do on Hayes Common that starts from a water fountain, a run through the woods, round a water fountain on the far side of the common and back. Hence the name. I've tacked a little bit on the front to boost the length but in principle it is a raw concept.

The twist is that is a long slog uphill there and then downhill back. The hill is not that noticible until you run. And then you doubt yourself. Why am I so unfit? Why is this so hard? And then you reach the turn, and your spirit turns. The return journey you fly with ease. I have been running this route for ten years probably on and off (mostly off to be honest) and it is always the same. And I love it for that.

Today I do it as a late evening, kids in bed but before dinner run. It would have been easy not to do it, but I made time.

Today's footwear de jour? AstroTurf football shoes. Never thought I would go running in them. I find them a little too padded but reasonably flat.

The woods are beautiful and the birds delightfully noisey. It has rained earlier but now it is clear. In the end I am sad to get back to the car.

Sometimes life it feels like an uphill slog. But usually you are doing it for the delayed gratification of a downhill blast.

35 mins medium pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment