Monday 22 July 2013

A key moment

I've felt tired.  It has been extremely hot.  I couldn't do my long run yesterday.  I have a terrible nights sleep, woken up many times in the night.by the baby.  I have a bad day at work.  Somewhere during a boring meeting overlooking the Thames I decide to run home.  Then work gets worse and I am stuck there.

At home the kids go to bed surprisingly easily So I head out to do my 14 miles.  It is still very, very hot.  I decide to run to Hayes and back, and then Hayes and back.  I can stop for a drink at home half way.

I start of and it is hard.  I complete the first lap, stop have a drink.  The minute or so rest I have perks me up and I head off again.  And then suddenly perhaps with 4 miles to go it happens.  I realise that I have done the run.  I've still 4 miles to run but I'm not going to bail out.  The hard part was getting here and I'm not going to bail out now.  Then I fly.  I really run smoothly but hard, flowing and fast.  It's hot and I can feel the salt building up on my lips.  Eventually I yield.  The last half a mile is a bit slower, perhaps the miles or the heat.  But the fast bit?  That felt gooooooood.

I had to do this run to get my Marathon training on track.  Job done.

14 miles 2:14:00

No comments:

Post a Comment