Wednesday 18 September 2013

A drink in the Last Chance Saloon

The marathon training has not gone well.  I'd like to say it was due to the summer heat but in reality it has been more a victim of too much boozing.  The long run and the weekend was skipped due to a hangover.  I still felt rotten on Monday.  My final hope of getting a decent long run in before the Marathon was tonight.

During the day I toy with various 20 mile routes.  In the end I settle on Pollhill Garden Centre and back.  I am tired when I get back from work.  I put the kids in bed and head out.  My body is grumbly and I don't fancy it.  Yet the further from home I get the more resigned I become to my fate and the less likely I am to turn back early.  About 7 miles in I stop at a petrol station and refuel.  I run the last 3 miles up to Pollhill.

I stop and turn back.  My spirits are picking up.  I stop at another petrol station on the way back for another drink and some sweets.  And then it happens.   I start to pick up speed.  I get faster and faster.  The final 6 miles I absolutely hammer.  I am running as fast as I can move my legs and yet I do not tire.  My technique feels smooth and graceful.  It feels like I could not run a standard mile as fast as this.

Through Bromley there are various drunks and tourists milling about.  I fly through them like an express train, onwards.  I push all the way back home.

I don't know where it came from but I quite enjoyed it.

20 miles 3:15:00

No comments:

Post a Comment