Wednesday 11 September 2013

Battersea IAA 10k Event

 I can't remember what IAA stands for but it is basically a 10km championship for various financial institutions running clubs.  Last year I had set my 10k PB here and had absolutely flogged myself round.  Early in the season I had been running lightning fast 5ks but recently my form has dipped under an avalanche of holiday and beer.

My goal was to go faster than last year.  There is little ceremony at the start and we are off.  After about 200m my shoe lace comes undone.  So I stop to tie it up.  It means running through some back markers.  The first small lap round Battersea Park is not to bad.  Then the big lap, across the Thames and down the embankment.  The whole time I am reeling in people who have set off to faster.  My form feels good.

Before long I am on the final small lap.  It is always so much more enjoyable when you do not set off too fast.  I think a good time is on the cards.  I keep pushing all the way, running well.

I cross the line and poke the watch.  Now I am confused.  I can't remember exactly what my time was last year.  It was about this time.  Then it dawns on me that if I have beat last years time, then it is a 10k PB.  It is not until I am on the train home when I lookup my time I realise I beat last years time.  It's great to run a 10k PB.

I'm not in form.  I'd love to get in real shape (I should be now really given I am running a marathon...) and see what I could do.

10k 46:25 PB

No comments:

Post a Comment