Sunday 9 January 2011

Alone in the dark....


After yesterday's great effort there was no way on earth I would be running today. I would be taking it easy with my feet up. Unless my brand new Exposure Joystick 300 Lumen light showed up in the post, unlikely on a Sunday surely? Doh!

I can't resist taking it for a test drive. I decide to do a late night run on the Water Fountain to Water Fountain route on Hayes Common. Eventually the light will be mounted on a headband (currently on back order) So tonight I hold it in my hands.

It is brilliant(in all senses). You can run easily on the lowest setting (24 hours). The middle setting lasts for 8 hours. On the super-bright it lasts for 3 hours.

I have spent countless nights Mountain Biking on the common. But when I am alone, it is still scary. In the end I turn the light brightness down and point the light down. That way I am in my own little light bubble. I am easily able to follow the route that I have run many times in the day.

It's very frosty and crispy. There will be a hard frost tomorrow. I don't really feel the cold. Because I am nervous I feel as if I am running faster than I usually would. I complete the slog up to the top fountain and turn round.

The return run is always quicker because it is downhill (and is on the way back, which always seems quicker) I get back to the car and look at the Garmin. I have run about 4.5km in 25:52 (5:58/km) It felt faster.

Once the light is head mounted it will make running in the dark really enjoyable. Not sure if I will ever get used to running alone in the dark....

4.33km 25:52 (5:58/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment