Saturday 8 January 2011

Long, Long Airport Run


Thursday was a rest day but Friday I had planned a run home from work. I spent the day looking forward to it. In the end something went wrong at work and I had to sort it. I was not happy.

Today, I have the afternoon to myself. I thought about doing Park Run, but with the rain Norman Park is going to be boggy. My wife gives me a good suggestion. Doing my long run this afternoon. Brilliant! I decide to head offroad towards Biggin Hill. I set out to do 3 hours mindfull of the Moonlight Challenge (32miles) coming up in February.

The first section is on road until I reach Baston. Then up through the common to Keston Ponds, down past the Wilberforce Oak. On the Road to Downe I take a footpath I remember from mountain biking. I run across a huge windswept field. I have to put my hat and glove back on.

I then run round the perimeter of Biggin Hill airport. In the woods there are deserted buildings, I suspect left over from World War 2 and the Battle of Britain. I eventually reach Jail lain. I have ten minutes before the turn around point so I keep following a footpath towards Biggin Hill. It gets very, very wet and muddy. Luckily I have my Seal Skinz socks, so while my shoes are saturated my feet are dry and toasty.

I reach the turn around point and head back. I start to run short of sports drink I decide to take one sip a kilometer. This keeps me motivated by looking forward to the passing kilometers. Eventually I reach the end of the offroad section and it's a short 5km road run back home. I stop off in Old Hayes to get another drink.

I have a slightly sore foot but other than not to bad. I reach Westmoreland Road. The last couple of times I have run this section I have absolutely flown down this (Though on far shorter runs) Surprisingly, I fly again. I am easily able to hold my intended Marathon Pace and even run faster.

I get home, and given that I have spent over three hours on my feet, don't feel too bad. The distance doesn't look to far, but the majority was over muddy, hilly offroad tracks. The first time I ran home from work around(19km) I had to go straight to bed. Today I am am able to function as usual.

A fantastic run which really gives me confidence for the Moonlight challenge. I really enjoyed it.

3:07'00 26.51km

No comments:

Post a Comment