Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year Park Run


It's New Years Day and my alarm goes off at 8:00am.
"Why was that set you idiot? Bank holiday, lie in (even the kids haven't stirred yet)"
Then I remember: New Year's Park Run. I drag myself out of a bed. I then realise I am in no fit state to drive a car after New Year's Eve. Better play it safe by riding a fixed-wheel bicycle.

As today is a special occasion they decide to run the route backwards. I suddenly realise it is going to be a drag running this. I then have a cunning idea. Let's do it barefoot. It's a bit chilly but it will be easier to do.

I slip of my shoes and run the first 500m with them in my hands. I lob at the pavilion to collect at the finish. Initially my feet are a little cold. But nothing that is doing me any harm so I battle through it. Running through mud is fun and squelchy. I dodge some dog poo.

In the end I really enjoy the run. As I near the finish (Downhill on the reverse course) someone tries to pass me. I think they must be probably 9 or 10. I pick up the pace and stay in front of them. 200m from the finish they start to sprint. I for some reason am in the mood to race and also start sprinting. I feel guilty and ease off, then lose my guilt and pick up again. It's a strange feeling sprinting barefoot. In the end I decide to stop messing around and go in for the kill, finishing ahead of him.

I then go to the shower and am able to wash the mud of my feet. The water is probably freezing cold but feels warm on my feet.

Later in the day, I have really sore feet. It appears to be lacerations in the hardskin on my big toes. I worry I will be out of action for a while, a disaster for the marathon training. I put some coca-butter on them and next day they are back to normal.

I really enjoyed running this. Considering how much I had *ahem* "consumed" the night before it was a pretty good time.

I really do love running barefoot. The aquas are good, but not as good as barefoot. The problem with Barefoot is the thought of glass, thorns and stuff. Maybe I should give the Vibram Five-Fingers another go. The worry is, that it's the bare skin on the environment that makes it so much fun.

5km 23'58

No comments:

Post a Comment