Sunday 16 January 2011

Three Commons Circular Walk


I have recently got a full set of leaflets detailing all of the local countryside circular walks. Today I decide to run the Three Commons Circular Walk which starts at the Common in Hayes (Actually at the Water Fountain, of Water Fountain to Water Fountain run)

I run there from my home in Shortlands. I have my super bright light because I have set off at 6:30am to avoid losing any of the family day. I switch it on as I reach the common.

The first problem is that it is hard to read the instructions. The maps are not massively accurate and the instructions are vague. Still at most junctions where you need to turn there is a post with a little plaque pointing the direction. These help massively. However I suspect a couple of posts are missing and I find one post rotting in a bush.

The other problem is that reading the map destroys my night vision. Not helped by the laminated map shining the light back at me.

I don't notice the sun come up, but eventually realise I can turn off the light (A nice bit of kit, light, bright and long lasting) Can't wait for the headband to be dispatched (end of the month) So I don't have to hold it.

I see no one else out and about. It is fantastic to have the whole countryside to myself. Running in the morning dark does not scare me (unlike the evening dark which makes me nervous)

In the end I manage to follow the whole route. The pace of the run is broken up with frequent stops to query the map. However I could go back and do the run probably with no stops.

After a couple of hard days, the stops probably were not a bad thing. I know the way back from Hayes to Shortlands and this is run at a steady pace.

The running pace was faster, but the average was dragged down by all the stops. Still on the long run, time on feet is the important thing.

I get home have a shower and then a bacon roll. Heaven. I feel ahead of the day, for the rest of the day.

I plan to do some of the other circular walks. It was really good fun. For a training run, sometimes the frequent stops break up the run too much. And I'm focussed on good quality training runs for the marathon.

2:02 16.14km 7:34/km (Lots of stops to query the map dragging down the pace!)

No comments:

Post a Comment