Sunday 30 January 2011

3 x 3 Commons Circular Walk Run

With my mind on the 32 mile moonlight challenge I needed to get in a big run today. 4 hours big. The only way to do this and not cheat my kids is to get up at 5:00am.

So that's what I do. The alarms goes of at 5, I put on my prepared kit and run up to Hayes Common. I start if doing the Three Common's Circular Walk. It's pitch-black so I have my Joystick Super-Bright Light to light the way. Still no headband from Wiggle so I am having to hold it.

Half way round I think of a cunning plan to do 3 laps of the same course. That and the run home should take 4 hours in total. This is good practice for the Moonlight challenge which is 5, 6.5 mile laps.

Having run the route before, I know where I am going. On the first lap my toes on the left foot start to hurt. I think the cause is the Seal Skinz over my normal running socks. Strange, this wasn't a problem on the night run (maybe I didn't have my usual double skinned running socks on then?) Seal Skinz over the top are perfect when it is really wet and muddy. Today it is too icy cold for mud.

The other lesson I soon realise is that when it's this cold, thermal underwear is the way ahead.

I start in darkness and watch the sun come up. The last lap in full daylight. I finish the last lap and turn for home. The last couple of km I even manage to pick up the pace to sub-marathon pace.

A good solid 4 hours on the feet, and to be honest not too hard. All good for the moonlight challenge, and the Brighton Marathon.

I was worried about the psychology of running laps. Today was fine.

4:02 33.2km

1 comment:

  1. I am trully sorry about my reaction to your proposed moonlight challenge as your training is going so well I am sure you will have a great run. And well done on the parkrun PB!

    ReplyDelete