Monday 26 March 2012

Biggin Hill and then back for a taper

The clocks have changed, the kids don't want to go to bed.  I need to do my last long run before starting the taper for the Brighton Marathon.  Eventually my wife takes over and I am off.

I decide to run up (and I mean up) to Biggin Hill.  I have been training by running my long runs to Time rather than distance.  This makes sense today as the pace will be slow, as on the way out I will be gaining height quite rapidly.

I cruise down to Hayes.  I run, slightly nervously, through the road in the dark common.  I have brought my bright torch which help somewhat.  I pass through Keston and onto Leaves Green.

Two police motorbikes scream past ahead I can see lots of blues-and-twos.  I can see the Police have shut the road.  I ask if I am allowed through, and I am.  I pass a serious 3 way car crash.  One car has been cut open.  The front has been ripped of a top-end Mercedes.

As I near the turn around point, I spot a petrol station.  I stop and get some supplies.  I run a little further and turn back.  At this point I know I have completed my Marathon training.  I wanted to get this run done, and by reaching the far point I knew that I had done it and would make it back(I have to get home!).   From here to the big day is a gentle taper.

 I run back, past the accident and across the common.  It's easy running downhill and the pace is faster.  I have my wine gums on the hill on Pickhurst Lane.  It doesn't feel too bad.  I have had 3 gels, wine gum and half a bottle of sports drink.  I have stopped to wee, fiddle with the IPhone.

The training has gone well.  The last couple of weeks has been dogged by too much work and I would have liked some more sessions but I have really given it a good go.  Just need to pray now that the big day is not too hot.

When I get home my wife has left some freshly baked Banana Muffins out for me.

25.5km 2:53:48

No comments:

Post a Comment