Saturday 3 March 2012

Good Long Run

I've been worried about not running long and when I have run long it has not been good.  I have the "magic" training month to get through then a couple of weeks taper into the Brighton Marathon and the sub 3-30 time.

The alarm goes of at 6:30 and I am so tempted to stay in bed.  From somewhere I summon up the energy to get going.  I run down to Bromley Park (confusingly in Shortlands)  Fortunately it is light, if a little chilly.  I then spend the next 2"40 running laps of the park.  Every half an hour I turn and run the other way.  This has the advantage of being totally flat.  There are also no roads to cross.

I aim to run at a good slow pace.  Initially I am running around 6:00 a km which is a fine long run pace.  Then I gradually get faster.  The advantage of running laps is that I have a couple of bottles of drink to sustain me.  I also can strip of clothes as needed.  Running laps also builds mental toughness.

Suddenly I am flying and really enjoying it.  A banana feels like the best food ever and is eaten over four laps.  In the end I settle to a pace of 5:30/km.  Marathon race pace is 5:00/km.

Towards the end it gets tougher but I even manage to throw in a couple of minutes here and there of marathon race pace.  With 10 minutes to go until the three hours I grab my discarded kit and run back up the hill to my house.

One mistake I did make was the nipples.  In a long race I would always remember to Vaseline them.  Today I didn't think to and suffer accordingly, though no blood

This went well.  If I can bang out another couple of these long runs, the Marathon is going to go well.

30.10 km 2:55:04

2 comments:

  1. keep up the good work, not sure I could run laps for that long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad you have managed to get the long run in as I know you have been a little worried about it if I read you recent blog entries correctly. Good call on reversing the laps ever so often

    ReplyDelete