Sunday 25 March 2012

Confidence Boosting, Barefoot Park Run

I've been having some confidence wobbles ahead of the big marathon.  Today I decide to do Park Run as I don't feel ready for a 20miler today (but I know it has to be done this weekend, as the last one!).  I have been doing my long runs and so have not been to Park Run for a while.  The old legs feel a little jaded and as the weather is nice I decide a bit of barefoot action is the way ahead.

On the first lap my feet are cold from the morning dews.  I am not pushing hard and rather enjoying the run.  The second lap the feet have warmed up.  I can see Mike from the club in front and start to pick him off.  I never quite reach him in the end.

At the end I can't sprint as that really can hurt my feet.  I do pick up the pace.  No way was this a full-race effort with the thought of the 20 miler in my mind.  When I look at the time, I am surprised.  It is a quick time, 20 seconds off my PB (remember no Sprint finish and no race effort!) and my 5th fastest ever.


Because of the amount of longer mileage I have been doing, I could understand my 5km time slipping.  The opposite seems to be the case.  My confidence soars.

5km 22:07

No comments:

Post a Comment