Sunday 18 March 2012

Victory Snatched from the Jaws of Defeat

Didn't want to run.  I have been tired and achy all day.  I look at the rain radar and it is going to rain, heavily.   But I have to get the long run in.  I asked my wife if I could do the run in the morning but she reminded me it was Mother's Days.

If I do make the sub 3:30 marathon, it will be nights like tonight that won it.

I set off, and the rain has not set in yet.  It's not great.  I think about quitting but I keep on plodding and not particularly fast.  I run down the A21 towards Sevenoaks.  Eventually I reach the petrol station I had run to on a previous long run last year.  I keep on going.  The plan was to run for 3 hours.  After 1"25, I decide to turn and head for home.  I worry how hard it is going to be to make it home.  I know it is more uphill on the way out, but there are significant downhills that I hadn't flown down.

Then suddenly things pick up.  Not sure if it was the gel taken half an hour ago kicking in or the thought of going home, but suddenly I start to feel good and the pace quickens.  I am running well and it feels good.

Then the heavens open and the rain really gains traction.  I start to get wetter and wetter.  However I keep pushing on.

With an hour or so to go I take another gel and it boosts me further.  The last 6km are run at 5:16/km which is only 16 seconds per km slower than marathon pace.

I even manage to power up the hill back to my house at the 5:16/km pace.

I learned two key things from this run.
1. I can run in rain, something I usually avoid like the plague.  So if it does rain race day, I will survive
2. I can pick the pace up when I am tired.

25.3km 2"38:58


No comments:

Post a Comment