Saturday 21 August 2010

(Andrew) William Barefoot

I fancied running the weekly Bromley 5km Park Run. But with a difference. Barefoot.

I turn up at the start and see some friends.
"£80 these shoes. The guy at the shop said that they were so special, stupid people couldn't seem them"

As I start everyone zips off. Today I am not running for a time but to get round. The first half a lap I manage fine. I'm running with some different people, but that's because I must be way slower. Down the back straight, I have to skip gingerly through some twigs dropped from the tree. Also down their there is the "cinder path". Martin from the club calls it the "cinder path" and I always tease him. It is a gravel path. Some of the gravel is on the grass. I manage to tip-toe my way past it.

According to major running shoe manufacturers I should be an injured cripple doing this. I am more than comfortable.

I run past the husband and kids of a fellow PWR. They look at my feet. I say
"Sure I forgot something but, I can't think what.."

As I approach the finish, I sense someone closing in on me. I still don't like being overtaken so I pick up the pace. I cross the line and look at the watch. I am confused. The time if far too good. I check with the timer and it is the case.

Barefoot, I have just run 24"28. This used to be my regular time one year ago. I have just managed to do it barefoot!

At the finish lots of poeple are interested in why I have no shoes on. I explain that running shoes are evil. I don't know if people believe me. Maybe I have given people some food for thought.

5km 24"28 (Barefoot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment