Thursday 5 August 2010

Finding the level

Out with my club Petts Wood Tuesday night. Our first meet at the new clubhouse. I couldn't face punishmment with James Wong (Who always runs a minute mile faster than advertised) so I go with group 3 (1 low, 6 high, though there are only 5 groups this week).

From the start the pace is a bit too slow. At the start, Mark (The leader) announces we would be going via Chiselhurst Hill. A number of people groan, but I rather like hills.

The run starts off for the first couple of miles, at too slow a pace. Eventually we reach Chiselhurst Hill. Liz, looks at me and says,
"He will probably like this"
I respond,
"It is on the hills where you address your character and discover your soul"
And I do. I raise the pace towards the hill and then push. One other runner decides to come along for the ride. And I push, and push. I don't know who this fellow runner is, but I like him. He has spirit. I push the pace, and as he settles, I kick again, and kick again. But to give him credit he holds but I think he is nearing his limit and he doesn't return the favour. At the top we have the satisfaction of waiting for the stragglers.

We run across Chislehust Common and back towards Petts Wood. On the downhill back towards Petts Wood, someone decides to pick up the pace. Mark who has lead the run in a fantastically, drops back to the slower runners. I sit at the front (*This is my cycling heritage coming to the fore. When you ride in a cycling group, you always sit at the front. Sit at the back and you are toast!) The pace picks up, but this is easy compared to James Wong.

Over the bridge into Petts Wood, we catch up with one of the other groups. We quickly dispatch them. I am feeling good, but the only thing holding me back is that I don't really know the way back to the new start/end point. A couple of other runners are pushing the pace. I ask if it is up the next road. It looks familiar. The other runners agree. As we turn the corner, I see the sign pointing back to the Rec and the starting point. Seems a good point to open up. I sprint, and I really do fly, and it feels great.

I had watched the European Athletic Championships and had been inspired by the 5k in particular. I focus on running hard but within the framework of good form. I'm on my toes sprinting but keep it going. The other runners drop like lead weights.

I finish way ahead of everyone else. Probably could have stepped up a group. Though I see Richard return, who trounced me in the last park run, coming back looking "hot and sweaty" from James's group.

It's not really polite, but every now and again it is nice to run in a group lower than your standard and push, to build a little confidence. As I said the other day, I've been caning it a bit hard recently, so don't feel that fit. Apart from my weight, I am in reasonable form.

I check with James's group. 8 1/2 minute miles (though they did stop for a bit apparently) I need to stop the caning and get into James's group.

On the bright side, King of the Mountains and the Green Jersey to go with the yellow...

~9k 50 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment