Tuesday 17 August 2010

PWR vs Orpington Road Runners Mob Match

A simple format. 6.3km route. First runner home scores one point, second runner scores two points and so on. The team with the lowest score wins. The good thing is that is open to all standards.

It is a lovely run through the woods. I soon settle into a pattern. Jerry (usually bellowing out random assertions) runs past. Jerry starts walking for a bit, I run past.

Generally I feel good and run well. Compared to some of the other runners, running in minimal shoes has made me more nimble. A couple of times I put 5 or 6 metres on other runners, just be flowing more elegantly through the terrain.

On the final lap of the rec, I glance behind to check there were no Orpies on my tail. The race was not timed so as long as I didn't get overtaken running faster here didn't make any difference.

But Emma was on my tail. She's usually faster than me and I see her start to accelerate. I don't want to lose my place so I start to speed up. I then start to catch Jerry in front of me. As he nears the line I open into my fastest sprint. Jerry hears me coming, suspects I'm an Orpie and manages a sprint to deny me a one higher place.

I finish 46 out of 120. My time was a freakish 29"59:997. Shame that I hadn't know to target 30mins. If I normalalise the time to a 5km this would be 23"48. Given a lot of the run was in the Woods, not too bad.

In the end the Orpies won. They have more members and some stronger runners. I think its going to be a while before we win this one.

6.3km 29"59:997

No comments:

Post a Comment