Saturday 21 August 2010

Hare and Hounds Duathalon


I was unbelievably sick yesterday so didn't think I would be running. Somehow I pulled it together.

To save some time I jumd on a Boris bike (London Cycle Hire Scheme) outside the office heading for a station just across from the start point. I get there and the station shown on the map doesn't actually exist! No need to panic and I go to the nearest station just down from fleet street. This one is full. I decide to leave the bike with the timers to play with. I make the start with only a minute to spare.

I start off fast and feel good. The tourist crowds are thronging. I have to work hard to flow through them. Westminster bridge is particularly bad. On the Southbank just before Vauxhall bridge I see a runner looking confused. I ask him if he is doing the Hare and Hounds. I reassure him is going the right way.

Back on the South Bank on the way to Westminster Bridge, Mark catches me. I had seen him coming across Lambeth Bridge as I had run under it. Everytime he runs he always catches me early and zips past. He says that he is dying and his legs are heavy. I say
"You've caught me!"
He then zips off.

For the rest of the race I don't see anyone else. I start to tail off, but am able to give it a good sprint.

Like most running of this event, the wind always seems to be against you like some kind of crazy Wind Escher crossover.

I jump on my Boris Bike and head back to the office. When I get back I jog the short distance to the office. I now understand when Triathletes (or duathletes) say the transition is so hard. My legs feel strange from being on the bike and then running.

Last month I had run 40"00 dead. Despite being at Death's Door yesterday, The time was good.

I don't have he evidence but this course must be longer than the old Hare and Hounds.

39"22 5 Miles (I think it is more....)

No comments:

Post a Comment