Tuesday 24 August 2010

Race the train


It's Tuesday night and Petts Wood Runners night. Except my Wife has the car. Not a problem as I jump on the train from Shortlands to Petts Wood. It's only 10 minutes and I'm one of the first there.

A number of our runners had done the Race the train. A 14 miles slog in Wales where you race against a train. Very few manage to beat it (maybe a 150 elite out of 1500) Chris Day and one of our lady runners had managed to do it.

I go out in group 4 with James Wong. He says the route and the pace. 7 miles at 8.5 - 9 minute miles. I joke when are we going over Chislehurst Hill? He looks at me without joking, and says towards the end.

I am excited. I have my new Asics Pirahnas. They are so light, you need to tie them down to stop them floating away. Minimal padding at flat. Right from the start I love running in them.

It's a smaller group than usual, and all the runners are strong. I hold near the front. As we come up Chislehurst Hill, I dig in. The last time with Group 4 I had dropped of the end. The last time with Group 3 I had run easily off the front. Tonight I hold on, towards the back, but holding on.

On the run back to Petts Wood, I am feeling good, and run to the front to set the pace. I glance at my watch. I need to be at Petts Wood Rail Station for 21:13 else the next train is 21:43. I try to pick up the pace. The rest of the runners peel of back towards the rec and the start point. Ihead straight for the station. Half way up Towncourt crescent, I don't have enough time. Suddenly I'm on the square where the station is. I sprint over the bridge. I glance down at the platform and there is no train. I slap down my Oyster Card and flow down the stairs. My train is still on the departure board. 20 seconds later my train arrives. I beat the train!

12km at group 4 pace (1"10)

No comments:

Post a Comment