Saturday 28 August 2010

Park Run First Anniversary

Decided not to run this, and so had a couple of beers the night before. Woke up at 8:40am and decided, actually I will run it.

As it was the first anniversary they decided to run the course backwards. So they could finish in the same place, the start was moved to the far end of the park. There were people from the local papers and lots of balloons and general festivities.

I start off and straight away the course feels different. Starting at the far end means starting off downhill. In the end I don't think I am going to PB today because of the beers last night, but I don't intend to cruise.

I am tracking a couple of old nemesises. People I have had "ding-dong" battles with. I don't intend putting up a fight today but it shows I am not slouching. Suddenly disaster, the laces on my shiny new Asics Pirahnas have come undone. I stop and lose 10 seconds to tie them up. On the second lap the same thing happens and again. I guess I lose 40 - 60 seconds to shoe lace tieing.

The last quarter of the race, I run along side a girl who is panting heavily. I hate running along side noisy runners (Whether is smashing the feet into their spongey shoes or wheezing) In the end it annoys me so much I pick up the pace and drop her. Ahead I see my 2 nemesises pickup the pace and really sprint. There is no way I would have been at the races tpday even with out shoe laces. As I close in on the finish I still manage a tidy sprint.

Across the line I look at my time, 24:35 which allowing for Beer and Shoe Laces was not too bad.

Time for a few cup cakes with the other runners and a chat recalling the year that has been Bromley Park Run.

5km 24"35

No comments:

Post a Comment