Tuesday 31 August 2010

Out with the big boys and girls

Tuesday night and I cycled to and from work for the first time in a while. Crow-barring the kids into bed and I am running late. Last week I ran group 4 and just held on, so I think best take it easy in group 3 this week. I arrive late and towards the end of the announcements. Looks like group 3 and group 4 have merged so I go with that group. It's advertised as a 9 minute mile but a warning of hills. Emma is running and I was her pace last week so I should be fine.

Richard sets off at a fast pace. I look around the group, Martin, Johnny Gill, Sabina. It's more of a group 5 merged into group 4. I have to concentrate to hold on. I approach Summer Hill at the front of the pack but gradually slip, then regain some places and manage to sit in the middle to the top. At Chislehurst, Emma peels off and heads back on a different route. I look around the group and I am the weakest runner here.

Because of my cycling heritage I like to sit at the front of the group (The easiest place to ride in a cycling group. There is to much disruption from the riders in front in a large group) Richard and Sabina lead and push the pace. I run with them and start to enjoy. As we run down the side of the A20 I spot a cyclist up in front heading our way and we need to go to single file. I manage to pick up the pace off the front. The pace is fast but I am holding and enjoying.

We then swing round to St. Pauls Wood Hill. It starts of as a long slow drag and gets steeper, steeper towards the summit. I run towards the front and gradually slip down to the middle of the group. Great training.

At the top of the Hill I realise we are nearly back at Petts Wood. I love the run down Orpington Road and I go towards the front and pick up the pace. On Birchwood, I start really going for it. Johnny Gill goes as well. I am probably at 80% top speed. Johnny starts encouraging me on. We both push. I hear someone behind me and I hold him off. The last run up into the rec I run at a full sprint.

Not bad given I was meant to be taking easy.

7.2miles 61 minutes (around 8.5 minute miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment