Friday 10 September 2010

Who needs running shoes?

Friday night and I plan to run home. In the Aquas. I have now regularly run 5km in the aquas (little more than a flexible thin layer of rubber) The run home is 10.5miles. This will be new teritory. If I pull it off, then I know running shoes are a big scam. I also having my compression socks on. I probably look rather odd in aqua shoes and knee length socks.

Normally I walk-run (Run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute) the run home. In the aquas it so much more comfortable I am happy to run the whole way. A couple of times I get aches, but then my running style naturally changes and the ache goes away.

As I near my road, I look at the time. Usually running to work is quicker (it is downhill, being in the valley worn out over thousands of years by the Thames). The time is looking fast. My fastest ever. A few months ago I had pushed to do my first ever Sub 2-hour run home. My quickest to work run is around 1"48. At the finish the time is 1"41:38. Yet I feel refeshed.

In my mind, running in the aquas feels way slower. But I did park run 24"30. This makes me wonder how fast it could be. At no point did I feel the need to walk. Part of this could be explained by the fact I am in good shape at the moment after the summer season. Running feels so more natural, relaxing and to be honest, enjoyable.

Running shoes? Scam.

Route here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4030102

10.6km 1"41

No comments:

Post a Comment