Saturday 11 June 2011

Crystal Palace Park Run



I feel the need to Park Run. But Bromley Park run is cancelled due to the Bromley Pageant of Motoring. I decide to give Crystal Palace Park Run a go. When I turn up there are lots of Bromley Park Runners wandering around.

Eventually we find the start and off we go. The original Crystal Palace was built on the largest hill in South London. The park is hilly. But it is a Victorian Park and it is beautiful. Proper old trees.

I have my new Vivo EVO II barefoot shoes on. I had bought some Evo barefoot leather shoes that I could get away with at work and absolutely love them. I can't resist running to or from the station as they are soooo lovely. That is why I incurred the wrath of Mrs. Squirrel by ordering a pair of the running shoes.

But they aren't as lovely. They are made of recycled bottles which is all good but they don't feel wide enough and a little bit "tacky"?. Still they are better than any other "running" shoes.

I had a few relaxing drinks the night before so it was never going to be a staggering performance. It is 2.5 laps of a hilly course. A big slog up a never ending hill and then big flows downhill. I hate running downhill.

What amazed me was that there were 3 people running with Prams. 2 of which beat me. One by a particularly lean looking lady. The other guy ran neck and neck with me at the half way point. The baby was saying "Dad-Dad-Dad", so I jokingly interpreted this as "Come on dad-dad" for the benefit of the runner. As they overtake me I ask if the baby counts as a place. I jokingly sprint yo make up the "place" and then relent.

Later on I took my son to the shops. I ran back with the buggy. Running in a barefoot style where you run upright makes it definitely easier when running with a pram. I can see some walks with the new baby turning into gentle training runs.

I start of the run bold, but then it dawns on me how hilly the course is, and so I pace myself. In then end it is a lovely run.

At the finish I glance over my shoulder and then sprint a little to hold my position. I was expecting a slower time because of the hills and the residual beer-iness. But it's 24:30. Not too bad.

After checking in I decide to jog back to the car. In front of me the grass looks tempting. So I whip of the shoes. I then run truly, and heavenly so, barefoot back to the car. I try and continue it across the gravel car park, but end up gingerly picking my way across.

The Vivo EVO 2s were nice to run in. Not as nice as the shoes(I think) but better than the aquas and any other running shoes. Whether they are as FAST as the Piranhas, I doubt. As you can see from the photo, my form is looking good.

I loved Crystal Palace Park Run. Not as big as Bromley, but enthusiastic volunteers and a beautiful park.

5km 24:30

No comments:

Post a Comment