Tuesday 14 June 2011

London Tourist Run


I have to paint the deck in our Garden tonight. The weather the rest of the week involves rain. It has to be tonight, running club night. Best be a lunchtime run then instead.

My wife was taking the kids for a picnic so she made my lunch. This is good as means I can extend the lunch time run to 40 minutes (I usually have to budget 20 for getting changed and 10 for getting my lunch leaving 30 minutes for the run)

I set off down London Wall and through the insurance-land of Fenchurch Street. I then run down past the Tower and under Tower Bridge. Then through St. Kathryn's Dock. I toy with going down the canals but head down the river instead. And it is really, really beautiful. I eventually emerge onto Wapping High Street. I spot the famous pub "The Town Of Ramsgate". I then decide to run as far as the other famous pub "The Captain Kidd". It looks beautiful in there, but I turn and head back.

Then the heat of this sunny day hits me. I have flashbacks to the Brighton Marathon. I keep going, but it feels like I have slowed.

As I run through Leadenhall Market I realise how fortunate I am to be able to run through such a beautiful landscape. The tourists buzzing have probably paid a lot of money and travelled many miles to experience see these fantastic sights I get to absorb in my run for free.

Because of the heat I decide to try and take a more direct route back. Usually I run the return leg quicker, and with the short cut it should be, but it is 2 minute longer. The heat must have really had an impact.

I am hot and thirsty when I get back. A good solid run. Now to the bloody decking...

7km 43:13

No comments:

Post a Comment