Thursday 28 November 2013

Inter Financial Services Cross Country Champs 2013

I hadn't been running much (okay, at all) in the run-up to this.  The running club party followed by a dose of something that made me want to throw up the main reasons.   Even today I do not feel great.  The other great issue is what footwear.  In the end I decide to go with my recently adjusted trail shoes.

I start off well.  On the climb there is a muddy puddle.  I have shoes and waterproof socks.  I plough through it soaking those around me.  It soon becomes apparent the shoes choice was a good one.  It's not to muddy, but muddy enough to appreciate the extra grip.

The first lap I keep it steady.  Most of the way I am battling with a teeny, tinny female running.  I pass her on the hills, she passes me on the downhills.  I take a few risks on the downhills and by being more fleet-of-foot than some other runners I pass them all for no extra effort.



The other day I noticed that when I run, my left leg seems to be coming along for the ride.  For the want of nothing better to think about, I concentrate on running with my left leg.  This seems to work.  Perhaps something to work on.

As I approach the final couple of hills, I spot Steve B.  I gradually start to catch him.  I hope he doesn't spot me and maybe I can sprint him at the finish.  On the hill he stops.  I pass him and he tells me his Calf has gone.  The last two hills also kill off the strong female runner.  I push down the hill.

In the final straight, I see Martin.  He says
"Come on Andy"
then a few seconds later
"Come on Steve"
I then know he is there.  I dare not turn and look and start running like my life depends on it.

He doesn't catch me.

I nicely paced the race and didn't blow.  So I am slightly disappointed by the time.  2 years a go I had run it 1:49 faster.    Compared to other years, didn't get any where near Charlie.  Maybe it was the illness but it felt like I was running well so surprised

5.8 Miles 45:49

No comments:

Post a Comment