Friday 17 January 2014

Kitten and Canary

I've been pushing work to do a 5km time trial as well as a 5 mile (To make it more inclusive)   Charlie and Martin being the top blokes they are, have put this in place.  I feel like I have to run the first one.

Most of the Old Skool stick with the 5 mile.  Of the 10 or so runners I am potentially second fastest.  At the start the other faster runner looks like he will not show.

So as I set off I am thinking, that if I can get round then I could be the winner of the inaugural K+C.  I'll also hold the course record.  Good plan.  I'm not feeling the running love and so have to flog myself.  Which I hate and part of the reason that I am quitting racing.  I flog myself hard enough to get round in a decent way.

There's one other runner who I think could challenge and I gradually reel him in.  I pass him with 500m to go.   I see another runner who I suspect is in the 5km (who I will definitely beat time-wise, but why not beat them handicap-wise as well?)

 I look at the time.  I had predicted 22:30 to the race organisers.  The watch says 22:30.  A remarkable bit of prediction.

I have to wait until 6:00 that evening for the results to come out.  2nd.  Someone had obviously shown up later and ran 20:43.  Bah!

I didn't really want to run today as I am feeling tired and possibly overtrained but I had to do this event.  I think I will try taking a couple of days of to see if I can get some sort of motivation to finish this thing off.

5km 22:30

No comments:

Post a Comment