Monday 27 December 2010

The Bright Lights Of Croydon


As predicted I did not run Christmas Eve. Christmas Day my wife said I expect you will be doing park-run(guess she had seen an email on the computer) When it came to it, I couldn't drag myself away from the kids and I think my wife appreciated the moral support as she cooked the mammoth meal.

Boxing day, I kept my eating and boozing under control with the expectation of getting out on a run. When I got home, my will power had evaporated, so I hit the food and booze.

This mean today I had to get out. And it better be the full 2 hour long run. We had spent the day at the Winter Fayre in Hyde Park. Terrific fun but lots of loafing around small children.

One of the hard things when doing the long run is deciding where to go, especially at night. When we drive up the hill just past Kelsey Park at night you can see the Office Blocks of Croydon. I always joke with my wife about the bright lights of Croydon calling. Tonight I answer the call.

The first 5km are tough. Fortunately the ice is not causing to much of a problem and in the odd place where it remains it is not slippy. I get to the slightly dodgy area the other side of Tesco's. A group of youths in cars look up to no good, but I sail by.

A couple are lighting a cigarette as I run by. He says in a sarcastic tone:
"Watch out for the ice, don't slip"
I am tempted to reply
"Watch out for the fags, don't get cancer"
But I resist. Probably for the best, I'm not wearing my stab proof vest.

It seems uphill most of the way. I console myself with the knowledge that it will be easier on the way back. I reach Croydon town centre right on the hour point in time to turn back.

At first I'm flying. As I reach Tesco's at Elmers End I start to flag. It has seemed uphill most of the way back as well. Down past Kelsey Park I notice that it doesn't look as "downhill" running down, as it it does uphill when running up it.

I make it back, and looking at the watch it was 1:58'34. I had stopped for a wee on the way back (perhaps a minute) but a pretty even run both ways.

It was hard in places, but I enjoyed it. Maybe my head was turned by the bright lights of Croydon.

Route on GMAP pedometer http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4205620

18.5km 1:58'34

No comments:

Post a Comment