Wednesday 22 December 2010

Orpington Snow Runners


It is the draw for 3 places in the London Marathon at my running club tonight. But they have cancelled the runs because of the ice. After last nights truly wonderful run I want to be back out there in the snow.

I get word of a snowy, offroad night run with ORR. I'll do this and then go to the draw.

At the start there is the usual chaos and confusion but I tag on to the back of Jerry and off we go. I put on my powerful bike light to light the way. There are some runners without lights and I don't think they appreciate someone with a big powerful light. Which is fair enough but it is too dangerous to run without light with all the trip hazards. I use the light pointing downwards to light my steps.

The 11 of us work our way through the beautiful snowy countryside. It is impossible to notice the cold. Every now and again I know where we are. I recognise High Elms. The leader obviously knows these routes well even with a covering of snow.

The snow is still fresh and so is not slippery. Eventually we come upon the village of Downe. It is lit up for Christmas. We stop for photos.

On the way back we come to a huge field covered in snow.
"round the field or through it?"
The answer is unanimous.
The snow through the middle of the field is a virgin, even white blanket. Any fantasies about making the first footprints in new snow are massively indulged here. The edges of the field fades away into the frozen fog. It is an experience like nothing else I have ever felt.

On the far side of the field there are some snowy trails to run down. My concentration is intense. This is a kind of running I love. I am so focussed on moving and flowing I no longer feel effort.

I love running with Petts Wood but I love the countryside and I love running in the dark. I get the feeling that ORR do this kind of running throughout the year. I may be doing more runs with them if that is the case. In the summer PWR go through the woods but ORR have the advantage of a better start location right next to High Elms.

As we arrive back at the lamppost I look at the time. I only have 5 minutes to make the marathon draw over in Petts Wood. I shout a thanks to the group and zoom off to the car.

I make it to Petts Wood just in time for the presentations and draw. Jerry shows up a little later. We tell a few people about the run, but words don't capture the experience.

I didn't get the marathon place which isn't the end of the world as I have the Brighton to do (which is the week before). The London place would have just complicated things. I want to do London one day, but it will not be this year.

On a post on the forum my best description of the run is
"I have never felt so alive"
And that is probably true.

10.1km 1:05:00

No comments:

Post a Comment