Monday 13 December 2010

Marathon Long Run

There was a million and one reasons not to do my long run today. But, I go. I run out to Petts Wood and back. Because of the cold, there aren't too many other people around. With it being Sunday night most places are shut.

All the time I am worried about my pace. It feels hard. I'm only running for 2 hours but I can't even hold my intended marathon pace of around 5:51/km for any time at all. I am doing around 6:15/km. This nags me the whole way round. Towards the end I really start to struggle. The four hour marathon seems a long way off.

Next day I read the following:
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/marathonlongrun.htm
Which explains that your long run *should* be slower. It talks about running it whilst not full of carbs (which I did, more by accident than design) Seems like it was a text book run!

There's even a running calculator which predicts you race times based on other races.
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Playing around with this, a sub 4-hour marathon looks well within grasp. As long as I put the training in.

Outside my unfounded worries, it was a nice run.

18.5km 1"59:00

No comments:

Post a Comment