Tuesday 28 December 2010

Christmas Club

Despite last nights long run, I still wanted to be out with the club. I think I'll take group 3 rather than group 4. I toyed with group 2 but I put on my semi-flat shoes and after a little bit of sports drink I am feeling perkier.

I turn up and everyone is wearing fluro-yellow jackets so that they can be seen. Apart from visible knees, I have black long socks, black shorts, black gloves, black coat and a black hat. I think some people dis-approve. Oops.

Due to Christmas there are limited numbers. In the end after too-ing fro-ing where Richard tries to push me into group 4, only two groups are formed. A sort of 1-2 and a 3-4. I go with the 3 and 4s.

We start of and in front is a large pile of ice. I decide it may be fun to hurdle it. Which I do with grace and then realise it makes me look a bit of a cock. Oops.

A good sociable group. The funny thing with running is that running an hour requires willpower. Even if you are running slower than your usual pace it is still harder than standing still. Sometimes running slower does not make it any mentally easier. Sometimes I like to run where I am grabbing on to the back of the group, struggling to hold on. Today it is comfortable. Still it is a lovely evening with a little mist and drizzle.

The generally chatty conversation dies away on the run up Bromley Common to Locksbottom for the hill. It picks up again back down towards Petts Wood.

At one point I am forced to run on the grass verge. The snow has made it muddy. My foot slips. These days I feel more in touch with my feet. I listen to them, realise something has gone wrong and I am easily able to correct. I am sure that in the days of running in big clunky running shoes I would not have done this and gone over.

As we cross the final road I open up into a full sprint. And I really do push it. It feels great. I can't decide if the footsteps I can hear behind me are a pursuer or my footsteps echoing. I open up even more. Eventually I slow down for the finish. That felt good.

At the group stands around chatting for a while. Someone teases that not everyone sprints for the finish. Laura replies
"That's one of the most common causes of injury sprinting at the end..."
Oops

1:03'09 6.6 miles / 10.6km

No comments:

Post a Comment