Wednesday 23 November 2011

Inter-Financial Cross Country Championships

I did this a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it.  It's a 5.6 miles cross country run in Richmond Park with lots of sharp hills.  The title gives you a clue that I am running for my work team.

I am also wearing my new inov-8 trail shoes.  I'm not used to running in something so bulky.  Someone comments that they look heavy. I had them to them and then they realise, that despite their appearance they are pretty light.

Once the ladies race is finished we set off.  I am initially holding on to Paul but gradually he slips away.  I then follow Charlie for the two laps of the top of the hill.  I get past him a couple of times on the uphill and he takes me on the downhill.  The first lap is hard and I start to wonder how I will get round the second lap.

At the top of one hill, I power through some sticks. One gets kicked up and almost takes Charlie out.  I start to count my steps.  Counting each left stride 1..2..3..4 up to 100 and then again.  At the top of the hill there is a marshal shouting out places.  I am around 67th, this freaks me out as by chance I happen to be at step 67 in my step count.

I crack on with second lap and I edge past Charlie again (he later tells me that he could feel his hamstring going) and then suddenly it all come together.  The shoes are great.  It's not too muddy but anywhere slightly muddy I can power through.  My form is really powering me forward.

I complete the final hill and then it is a long run downhill and then across the flat back home.  As I near the finish   I hear someone closing in on me.  I fight back but they still seem to be closing.  It descends into an all out sprint.  I don't like to get beaten in the last 200m of a race and I put in all out effort.  The person continues to close.  The crowd and the other runners cheer.  I manage to hold him off.  Sometimes in these situation you need to be a bully and show some mental strength to deter the other runner.

At the finish we shake hands.  The rest of my team said that I was starting to get away again at the end.

I ran hard as was delighted with my performance


9km 44:00

No comments:

Post a Comment