Thursday 10 November 2011

Race the train

This morning both me and the baby have stinking colds.  I am also feeling tired.  I skip the lunchtime run.    Rather bravely I had still packed my running kit.  I think from now on I will always pack my running kit.

It's good at work because the dress standards have slipped so far that I can run with my trousers in my back-pack.  Sure they get a little screwed up but I have a smart pair in my locker for those oh-so-important meetings.  This allows me to be more flexible with squeezing in runs here and there without worrying that I will not have clothes for work.

By mid-afternoon I am feeling good again.  I'm not even tired.  As you crank up the mileage and your fitness builds, so it appears your recovery time reduces.  I remember running the corporate challenge when I was 21 and just got back from 6 months in America.  I couldn't walk properly for 3 days and that was only 5km.

For a change I decide to run from the office to Nunhead and then catch the train for the last bit of the journey home.  The risk with this is that if I run slowly I miss my train and then have to wait for 1/2 an hour for the next one.  This would be a disaster in terms of seeing the kids before bed time.  So I make sure the time is definitely do-able and I keep my mind focussed on keeping the pace up.

The run is pretty enjoyable.  I stop a couple of times for traffic but the pace seems okay.  As I near Nunhead I risk a glimpse at the watch.  Then I am confused the time is way faster than I expect.  I end up having to wait ages for the train.  Still, after a good run, I am happy to sit their and enjoy the feeling.

7km 37mins

No comments:

Post a Comment