Sunday 30 September 2012

Long run to Biggin Hill Airport Offroad

I'm not sure if this running Saturday Night Long is for me.  I resolve to get up early and do a long one.  The baby screams the night away so I give myself an extra half-hour in bed.  I then get up and go.

And it is hard.  I feel that the slight cold I had yesterday has developed.  I struggle.  Having quit an early morning run after 5km a few weeks a go,  I can't do it again,  so I get on with it.  Up through Hayes and on to Keston Common.

As I cross the common a group of people stare at me (It is around 6:45am which is unusual)  They watch me run.  Then as I approach Keston Villiage Hall I see people with running numbers.  I ask them what race they are running.
"London to Brighton comes the proud answer"
I'm interested.  It's a little project I have planned for my 40th Birthday in a few years.  (UPDATE: I've just googled the race and it looks like it is run by some barefoot enthusiasts.  Maybe they were admiring my zero-drop vivos?)

As I enter Keston Common again  I see the tail end of a mountain bike group I used to ride with.  I think the last rider recognised me.

I continue upwards to the Wilberforce Oak.  It is a beautiful view down in to the Vale of Keston.  A long downhill is followed by another uphill towards the airport.  I get to the edge of a ploughed field.  I know there is a footpath across having run when it was grass field.  Running in the tire tracks of a tractor is hardwork.

I run up past the airport, up and down some big dips.  I go 5 minutes past the half way and turn back

The pace until now has been slow but finally I do pick up some speed.  Then I fade.  The last few miles on the roads and up Pickhurst Lane is a battle  Eventually I am home and within 30 seconds of my target time of 3 hours.

One more big, big run and I can slow down.  It's crazy really, I could take it easy and enjoy this marathon but I have set a target of breaking the 5 hours I did last time.

23.2km 2:59:31

No comments:

Post a Comment