Sunday 24 March 2013

Long Run Mistake

I go out for my 22 mile long run.  I had run round the A205 (The South Circular) before and had to stop short of Clapham.  Tonight I thought I would be able to get into the young trendies night spot and have a look around and see how it has changed since I was young(and probably never trendy).

It has been snowing most of the day and there are still wintery showers.  I realise at Catford that at one of my WeeWee stops I had not restarted the Garmin.  Hmmm.  I don't think it was very far.  I plan to run 11 miles out and then 11 miles back.  I say to myself that I can walk home once I hit 22 miles.

I go past the point where I had previously turned on my way to Clapham, but this time continue on to Clapham, down through Balham and to Tooting.  I pass some old memories and continue to Tooting Broadway.  I notice I am nearing the 11miles so turn off down towards Mitcham not expecting to get far before the arduous journey home.  I stop to treat myself to a gel.  Then I realise both gels have fallen out of my pack.  This has never happened before.  I am now 11 miles into a 22+ mile run with no gels.

I see a Sainsburys so I buy a sports drink, some chewits and some wine gums.  I put them in my coat pocket for easy access.  A short way down I realise the Wine Gums have dropped out my pockets.  I settle for the Chewits, demolished over a number of miles.  Though not as chewy as I remember them as a child.

Surprisingly I keep the pace up.  There are some nasty climbs, notably Forest Hill, but I keep going.  Only the last little hill up to my house am I destroyed and go into blow up mode.

I had decided to turn around at 11 miles as recorded on the Garmin (with obviously the missing bit)  Then I would run the same route home.  Then all I had to do was subtract 11 from the total and the double it to get my true distance.  At the finish I look at the watch and I am confused.  It says 23.3 miles.  This means I would have run (23.3 - 11) * 2 which is 24.6 miles.  Gulp.  I am confused and measure the route using google maps.  25 miles.  I have just accidentally run near on 25 miles.  At a decent pace as 8:45 would give you a 3:49 marathon, 7 minutes slower than my PB.  I know I stopped for 10 minutes at Sainsbury's but this wasn't a race, in winter clothes, over some big hills with no other runners.

Part of doing these long runs is to gain confidence.  Confidence gained.

24.8 Miles 3:35:00 (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment