Sunday 3 March 2013

To the Monument and Back

I was going to long run Saturday night but it didn't happen.  I didn't fancy Sunday morning, so it has come to this, 20 miles on a Sunday night.  I get the kids in bed and head out at about 8:15pm.

Now that I work in Canary Wharf, I don't run or cycle into the city any more.  So tonight I decide to relive some glory days.  I remember the first time I ran home from work I went straight to bed I was so exhausted!

I run to Catford and then up towards Nunhead.  There is one railway bridge footpath that always makes me nervous as it is narrow and some time youth gangs seem to hang out there.  I cross the bridge and just on the otherside there are some youths on a trail bike without helmet or lights racing around.  I zip past and on my way.  I wonder whether to come back that way.

Through Peckham this late makes me nervous.  Soon I am on the busy old Kent Road and can relax.  I toy with running back down the A21 as I know this will be busy.  This would mean turning back sooner than 10 miles in case the route was longer.  Instead I decide to keep going.  I wonder where the 10 mile turn around point will be.

Eventually I reach the far side of London Bridge.  I stop and look at the monument.  I turn and head back, running the identical route back home.  The railway bridge is clear and then there is a long down hill into Catford.  The run back from Catford I know well and have done in worse states so I am able to keep motoring.

Sure it was hard and I had to push myself, but it could have been harder, a lot harder.   The other good thing was that the 20 miles was done at an even split.

20 miles 2:55:41


No comments:

Post a Comment