Wednesday 9 May 2012

Beckenham Relays

I'd got the wrong day for this.  I thought it was tomorrow.  If I knew that then I would have not run this morning.  Still it's good to meet up with the rest of the club.  I am put into a team with Peter and Michael.  I am given the glory (last) leg.

Michael complete his lap and passes over to Peter.  I go for 3 wees and a warm up.  Eventually Peter comes back, and I am off.  I keep everything in check and concentrate on running well.

One of our stronger female runners zips past me but then I hold on to her.  I make up some ground on the big hill up to Ravensbourne but on the down hill she edges away out of reach again.

I re-enter the park and John flies past and then gradually, slips away.  I am aware that I need to save something for the finish, so I try and keep the pace steady.  I finally turn into the final hill.  The rest of the club who have completed their legs have positioned themselves all along the finishing straight.  They all cheer as  I run past.  This encourages me to really push myself.  I squeeze out every last bit of effort for the final sprint.

I am bent over double for a couple of minutes trying to recover.  I noticed that Michael had run 17 something, so I would be pleased with something in the 17 range.  In the end it is 17:58.  I look up last years time and it was 18:05.  So I was 7 seconds faster, possibly a little bit disappointing.

A great night and good to spend some social time with the other club members.

4.16km 17:58

No comments:

Post a Comment