Saturday 18 February 2012

Eventually a long run

The Marathon Training is going Tickety-Boo in all regards other than one crucial area - the lack of length.  After last weeks lack of long, this week I had to do a long run.

Events conspire against me, the worst being the children are sick.  I decide to run loops which would call by my house in case my wife needed me to abandon and help with the kids.  I decide that the route to Hayes and back takes around an hour.  I could run this three times.  Running the same route 3 times builds mental toughness as I learnt from my training for the moonlight challenge.

I get the kids in bed and struggle out.  I don't fancy it.  The first out and back is hard.  It is so tempting to quit.  At home I have a quick wee, check the kids are okay and have a drink.  I pick up my gloves to warm my frozen hands.  I then head back towards Hayes.  And it is hard again.

I get to Hayes, and turn round and head back  I do the same at home.  This time the initial effort is good knowing it is the last "lap".  I wobble in the middle and then come on strong as the torture nears its finish.  I try running some marathon pace efforts but can't get any where near.  Yet I am sure come the day it will be easier. It will certainly be flatter than the roads round here.

I get back and feel so proud for doing it.  It would have been easy to dodge out, but I did it.  However as I get back my daughter is not in a good way and rather than stopping to bask in the glory I have to help her.  Marathon training with young kids is too hard.  I think I should put all my effort into this one and then come back to it in a few years.

26.61km 2:56:23

No comments:

Post a Comment