Friday 15 February 2013

Cat and Canary PB

It's the work 5 mile time trial.  I haven't done it for a while.  All the marathon training has got me in top shape.  I bring the racing shoes thinking a PB could be on the cards.

Only two things that can slow me down, last nights tough interval session and a bit of a hangover from Valentines night.

I set off an focus.  Before half way I have caught some of the other runners.  I follow Steve B round the lake, he takes a short cut but I stick to my route.  By the time we leave the park he is gone.  I must be way ahead of schedule.

Then a runner flies past me.  He doesn't disappear though.  He sits the rest of the race about 200m in front, just out of touching distance.  The worst thing is the pain in my sides possibly an after effect of last nights boozing.  Another runner zooms past me at top speed

About a mile and half out my shoe lace comes undone.  It is an issue with my racing shoes and something I'll need to work on before the marathon.  I don't stop and keep pushing.

I put together a finish which is enough to keep Scott at bay.  At the finish I get my ticket and it is 5th.  The time is sensational.  I am shocked 35:31.  A PB by at least a minute and half and about two and half faster than my target time.

When the results come out there are other really good times.  From my point of view it is good to see the training paying dividends.

8km (5 Miles) 35:31 (PB)

No comments:

Post a Comment