Thursday 7 February 2013

Rainy, Sleeting, Snowy, Freezing cold track intervals

I didn't think I would make it to the track tonight as the kids are sick.  My wife pulls it all together and I am able to escape.  It is raining quite hard.  We do the warm up laps and get ready to go with 2x1200 followed by 4x800.

Rob W is with a friend and does not join our group.  Jenny is absent.  Rob B is there and Pete joins our group.  A group of the fast ladies also join including Karen.  After a couple of intervals they drop to their own group apart from one fast lady runner.

At one point I lead the 800m interval.  When you lead you have to run diligently or risk letting everyone down.  This I do.

It is now snowing heavily.  I am soaking wet and frozen cold.  There's no other option other than to keep going.  On the last 400m I push myself.  I open up into a sprint.  Rob B catches and passes me before the line.

Nights like tonight build physical strength but they also build mental toughness.  The next time I am minded to skip a session I will think about tonight, and know that by skipping I will have wasted tonight's effort.  Also on the big day, I'll be able to remember the effort put in.

Intervals 2x1200m 4x800m with 200m walk/jog recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment