Saturday 9 February 2013

Saturday night long run round Dulwich

I've had a look at the weather it is going to be rainy tomorrow.  So best I do my long run tonight(Saturday).  I'm not in the mood to run laps of Shortlands Park.  I try and think of a flat route.  I seem to the think the A205 (aka the South Circular) is flat.  It would be funny to go and run somewhere like Clapham where I used to hang out in my earlier days. I think an out an back route to complete 18 miles.

I am a bit weary but after getting 2 out of 3 kids in bed I head.  I am loaded up with 3 good podcasts.  I get to Catford where I join the A205.  Then I get to Forest Hill.  Forest  Hill is one of the biggest hills in London.  There is a radio transmitter on the top.  You can see Wembley on the other side of London.  I clamber over the hill and into East Dulwich.  Suddenly I realise I am on my way to Peckham.  I didn't think the A205 went that way.

On the spur of the moment I decide to turn off.  My friends used to live in East Dulwich when it was a real dump (long before it was trendy)  I used to rollerblade or walk back to Herne Hill Station from their house.  I decide to retrace my old steps and head for Herne Hill before heading for home.  If I still have mileage left to burn I can do some laps of Shortlands Park.

As I get to Herne Hill, I notice that I can rejoin the A205.  I am confused.  Intrigued I follow it back and end up at Forest Hill.  I had missed the turn by Horniman's Museum down towards Dulwich Park.

Once I am up over Forest Hill it is good as it is a nice downhill roll to Catford.  The run back from Catford I know well.  Except that I know when I get back I will need to do a few laps of Shortlands Park.

Through out the night my pace has been good.  It has seemed to sit just over 9 minute miles.  I don't feel like I could ever run faster but I know race day I will.  Last year I ran 17 miles at 8 minute miles and I had not done anywhere near this level of training.

At Shortlands Park I calculate around 3 and a bit laps should see me up to 18miles.  I really push myself and soon I am flying up the hill back to home.  In the end I am 0.2 short of the 18 miles but I had run over Forest Hill.  It's not been a real struggle and I've had many more hard long runs.

I have run a mile further that last week, over hills, some of them pretty big but at a fast pace than last weeks flat effort around Shortland's Park.  I've also had a hard week with 2 tempo runs with Paul and a vicious Interval Session.  I really feel like I am on track.

28.48km 2:41:35

No comments:

Post a Comment